The Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS) is the lead government agency that advises on and administers intellectual property (IP) laws, promotes IP awareness and provides the infrastructure to facilitate the development of IP in Singapore. IPOS regulates Singapore's IP legislation and works with economic agencies and the IP business community to formulate and review IP policies and practices. Our vision is to become an IP Hub of Asia, with the aim to provide the infrastructure, build expertise and grow the ecosystem in support of the greater creation, protection and exploitation of IP. As part of this effort, we are establishing an indigenous Patent Search and Examination (S&E) Unit from the ground up. The S&E Unit will help foster a stronger patent regime and be a motive force in the establishment of a vibrant IP ecosystem here in Singapore.
The IPOS Patent S&E Unit is recruiting an experienced patent examiner of significant standing as a consultant to the Chief Executive, IPOS and the Director, S&E Unit. S/he will help set up and establish the standards of the key processes in the fledging S&E Unit. The consultant examiner will find satisfaction from this pioneering effort as a standard bearer who enacts world-class quality and productivity standards for the Unit, a coach whose instinct is to nurture future leaders and a role model who embodies an exemplary work ethic. S/he will work with highly-motivated and well-qualified colleagues in a Unit that is adequately resourced to build up rapidly a notable Patent S&E capability. This position is based at IPOS in Singapore.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Work closely with senior management to develop and refine a strategic plan for the Unit;
2. Establish essential operational systems and processes such as a quality management system, performance management system, examination practices & procedures, IT systems and search tools;
3. Train and nurture a group of patent examiners to conduct patent search and examination and to take on leadership roles in the Unit in future;
4. Develop a training curriculum for new and experienced patent examiners;
5. Provide advice to senior management on patent policies; and
6. Work closely with the senior management and patent examiners to set group and individual performance targets.
Minimum Qualification and Experience
1. Minimum of 20 years of experience in patent search and examination in an established patent office;
2. PhD or good class honours in any of these fields: Chemical/Materials Engineering, Chemistry, Biotechnology, Electrical & Electronics Engineering or Computer Technology/Telecommunication;
3. Demonstrated experience in the design and administration of a patent S&E system, patent appeal process, quality audit system, performance management system and the development of a patent examiner training curriculum;
4. Aptitude for teamwork, leadership and communications.
5. Fluency in English is required.
IPOS offers an internationally competitive salary and benefits package. The position is for an initial period of three (3) years, subject to a six (6) month probation period. Applicants are invited to send detailed curriculum vitae with a covering letter illustrating their suitability for the position. A list of achievements, publications and hearings decisions will be useful in our determination of suitability. Please provide names and contact details of two referees. Your application which should indicate "Application for Consultant Patent Examiner", is to be sent via email to IPOS_Personnel@ipos.gov.sg before 31 Aug 2012. Regretfully, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Get Adobe Reader Here